ELLE Decoration 2015
HERMA DE WIT
One of her first memories is of being set down in the garden, by her mother, between flowers and plants. 'There between the leaves, by myself, I learnt to observe nature. And it continues to amaze me.'
After studying at the Rietveld Acedemy and following career in fashion Herma shifted her interest to visual arts. She has worked as an artist and sculptor since 1999 and her fascination for nature has taken a prominent role. It can be seen in the fragile sketches of flowers, in dynamic animal ceramics and the robust sculptures of giant flowers. Notable in de Wit's work is the combination of a tender, sensitive eye and a powerful technique. "Technique is important to me, it's pretty easy for me to think three dimensionally. I look at a flower, sketch it and then I can work it out in 3D.'
Her work has become more monumental in the course of time. 'Maybe it's allowing my masculine side to come out, I don't shrink away from steel and larger works. But however robust the sculptures may appear, I hope the vulnerability of nature is also recognizable. It's the tension between strength and fragility that continues to fascinate me.'
The delicate row of flowers in „Sense of Security” seem to gently sway with the wind, a remarkable experience given the unyielding nature of the material.
The work exudes a feeling of calm security and offers the viewer a moment of reflection.
2015 Yvonne Yzermans, art historican
2016 Various works available at Graanmarkt in Antwerp. www.graanmarkt13.be
2016 Summer exhibition Halvemaan Buitenveldert
2015 New work presentation and Christmas drink.
• 2015 Participation Open Garden Days Amsterdam
19th, 20th and 21st of June 2015
• 2015 Participation ARTZUID from 22nd of May till 22nd of September 2015
International Sculpture Route
• 2014 ELLE DECORATION
publication december 2014
• 2014 Participation "Kunst in duin" from 23rd of August till 31st of August
Landgoed & Kasteel Keukenhof Lisse
• 2014 Garden Exhibition SCULPTURES and LIGHTOBJECT
Sunday and Monday 8th and 9th of June from 2:00 pm till 5:00 pm
open for visit and by appointment
• 2013 Some work presented at the house of More Than Classic
1- 6 oktober 2013 Woonbeurs Rai Amsterdam
"Summer exposition FLOWER sculptures"
Geelvinck museum Keizersgracht 633 Amsterdam
"ART MEETS DESIGN" DIS STUDIO
18 April till the end of september 2013
Open: tu.-sa. from 11-17 hrs.
Amstelveenseweg 2 31(0)20-4893575
• 2012 "Kunst in duin" 27 aug.- 2 sept.
Exhibition DJ DE BOER HUISARTS at 1.07-10.10 2012
• 2011 Participate in Charity Event Ninos de Guatamala at FIFTEEN Amsterdam 30 okt. 2011
Group exhibition "Het Veem"
Exhibition Arnold Otten
"Kunst in duin"
• 2009 Exhibition at Wester-Amstel Amstelveen
• 2008 Vernissage september 2008
• 2007 Sculpture with Marianne van der Kooij
• 2004 Drawing with Juul van de Heuvel. Painting with Siert Dallinga
• 1999 – 2005 Ceramics lessons with Marjan de Voogd
• 1996 – 1997
Knitwear stylist for brand ‘Just B’, A'dam
• 1995 – 1996
Stylist for brand ‘Scapa’, responsible for knitwear, jeans and swimwear
• 1989 – 1995
Own label; ‘Herma de Wit’, couture tailor-made ladies‚ clothing
• 1984 – 1986
Teacher at the Vogue Fashion Academy, Amsterdam
• 1981 – 1995
Designer and stylist for various brands, such as ‘Marithe & François Girbaud’ (Paris) and ‘Trussardi’(Milan)
• 1979-1983 Rietveld Academy